Scripture of the Day

Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. (Psalm 37:5)

Friday, October 11, 2013

Chicken Tips

"Everything I've learned about farming, I've learned from Raising Chickens for Dummies."  I can't tell you how many times my husband has made that quip.  And while he's a witty kind of guy, with a gift for exaggeration, when it comes to chicken farming, his statement is not far from the truth.
 
 
Raising Chickens for Dummies is one of our favorite resources for all things chicken.  The book covers a wide range of topics, including choosing and purchasing poultry, designing and building coops, flock maintenance, breeding, egg production and butchering.  It is the most tattered and torn "chicken book" in our collection.
 

 
And while we're on the subject of chickens, I can't recommend highly enough the Murray McMurray Hatchery.  If you plan to order chicks instead of buying them locally, McMurray has an excellent record.  The chicks arrive at your door as day old chicks, freshly immunized, if you choose that option.  McMurray operators are very helpful and will gladly answer any questions you may have concerning your chicks.  I should also mention that McMurray does not just offer a wide variety of chicken breeds, but they sell ducks, turkeys, geese, etc., as well.  A couple of years ago, I seriously
entertained the idea of starting my own flock of peacocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment